Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Living the Life of an Artist

I’ve taken a bit of a break from doing any art work as my granddaughter, Megan, is spending her vacation with me. How wonderful as she is such a joy to have around. Today I’d like to take her bowling.

It feels funny to be totally blowing off doing anything artistic. Part of me feels a little guilty that I should be working on finishing up the charcoal drawings. I’m also supposed to be getting pictures ready for a photography slam. Haven’t done any writing either, but hey, I guess I can take a week off.

Then again, it doesn’t take much to give me an excuse not to work. Why is that, when I love what I do? I love working on my art, so why don’t I work at it more often? These are questions that always make me wonder.

Am I afraid of being successful? This is another question I’ve pondered for years. How can anyone fear success? When I think of what would happen if I were very successful, it is mind-boggling. Would customers be demanding more work than I can produce? Would my time be less of my own as I’d be working with more deadlines and consignments? I would have to be making more contacts with galleries. I’d need to be more “out there” with the public and might lose my solitary time. What if I couldn’t live up to that?

Then I’d be a failure. Perhaps it is better to remain in obscurity and continue to hibernate as much as possible. Of course, the downside to this is that it doesn’t pay the bills.

No comments: